Dermcare Malaseb Medicated Shampoo is registered to treat Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and is an aid in the treatment of Dermatophytosis.
Seborrhoeic Dermatitis is a skin infection involving bacteria (Staphylococcus) and yeast (Malassezia). Dermatophytosis is a fungal infection which is more commonly known as “ringworm”.
Why does my pet get these infections?
It is normal for dogs to have low numbers of resident bacteria and yeast on the skin surface. When there is a disruption to the skin’s natural ecosystem these bacteria and yeast can overgrow, leading to skin disease.
Reasons for disruption to the natural balance of the skin:
- Allergy, for example to pollens, grasses, food (protein) and fleas.
- Parasites, such as fleas, mites and lice.
- Hormonal or endocrine diseases
- Conformational problems such as deep skin folds – these create a moist environment, which is more favourable for growth of micro-organisms
How does Malaseb help?
- Kills the micro-organisms, helping to keep the numbers of yeast and bacteria at manageable levels.
- Removes excess scale and oils, commonly produced when the skin is infected.
- Removes allergens such as pollens, which can be present on the coat or skin, causing irritation.